This area is to provide parents, students, group leaders and agents with more information about our care for Under 18 students. Westbourne Academy has students from all around the world with a range of ages.
The safety and security of all our students is a priority. Several of our staff members are trained to a high level as Safeguarding and Welfare Officers who are available to give advice and help whenever it is needed. The school also operates a 24-hour emergency telephone service for students for when the school is closed. Please click here for our Condensed Safeguarding Policy.
With weekly meetings for our Under 18 students, we are able to keep an eye on students and make sure they are happy and settling well on the programme. We get to know them and build a trusting relationship that allows them to tell us of any worries they may be having so that we can help.
All our Junior Homestays have been carefully selected and have had police checks to ensure that the students are living in a safe environment. We make every effort to make sure that homestays are located on a main bus route that has regular buses every 10 minutes and we also place 14 – 15 year old students in twin rooms in a homestay to ensure they are never travelling alone.
Parents / guardians and students aged under 18 should understand and agree that:
- Parents/Guardians will inform Westbourne Academy if the student has any mental health history or other existing medical condition which would affect his/her ability to follow the course and will also provide information of any medication that he/she is taking.
- Parents/Guardians consent to emergency medical treatment as advised by qualified medical practitioners should there be a medical emergency or medical attention is required when I am not available.
- Students under the age of 18 will stay in homestay accommodation provided by the school.
- Parents/Guardians will provide a next-of-kin and 24-hour contact number for Westbourne Academy to use if there is an emergency.
- The student will need to attend a meeting with a member of the safeguarding team on his/her first day after the intake is completed and attend weekly meeting.
- Students under 18 are not supervised outside lesson times. They are also not supervised while travelling between their homestay and the school, during lesson breaks, or when travelling to social activities. On weekend excursions, it is normal for them to have unsupervised time for shopping etc.
- The student should bring enough pocket money for the duration of their course. Westbourne Academy does not provide free lunches; therefore, students will need to buy their own lunch either from the Westbourne Academy canteen or from a local shop.
- Students must attend all their classes and must contact the school by phone or e-mail immediately if they are not going to attend a lesson for any reason or will be late.
- Students should tell their homestay hosts if they are not going to be present for a meal (for example, because they want to eat out with friends).
- 14/15 year old students MUST return to their homestays by 9.30 every day.
- 16/17 year old students MUST return to their homestays by 10.30PM Sunday – Thursday and 11.30PM Friday and Saturday.
- Students under 18 must not buy or consume alcohol or buy cigarettes. This is UK Law.
- Students must have a working mobile and provide Westbourne Academy with the telephone number.
- Westbourne Academy must have written permission from parents or guardians before an under-18 student can stay out overnight.
- Students can attend religious ceremonies during lesson time. (please let us know if you do not agree to this)
- Students are provided with a wristband on their first day at school that has the 24-hour emergency phone number on it (Yellow band for 14 -15 year olds, blue band for 16 – 17 year olds). This band is worn at all times during their programme to ensure they are always able to contact us in an emergency.
- Students aged 16 & 17 sometimes go on organised excursions with local companies and these are not accompanied by any staff from Westbourne Academy. Parents/Guardians understand that Westbourne Academy will not be responsible if the student attends a non-Westbourne Academy supervised excursion. (students aged 14 & 15 cannot attend independently organised excursions
We take great pride in our Safeguarding of students and have provided useful links and information for you below, relevant for both before your child arrives and during their studies.
14 – 15 Year Olds
Students aged 14- 15 years old are able to study with us as part of a group on the Junior Programme
16 – 17 Year Olds
Students aged 16 – 17 are welcome to join any of our programmes and more information on courses can be found here.