31 Alumhurst Road

Bournemouth BH4 8EN

+44 (0)1202 75 27 77

Customer Support


Help & Support

Welcome to Westbourne Academy!


Do students need to take a Covid19 test before they leave their country?

This information was updated on 18 March 2022.

All Covid travel requirements for passengers arriving in the UK ended on Friday 18 March.

No-one needs to take a Covid test before travel or after they arrive. No-one needs to quarantine.

The passenger locator form is no longer required.

Are there weekly activities organised for the students?

Yes, we are arranging at least 2 activities each week which are carefully risk assessed. The Listening centre, Reading Centre and Computer room are open throughout the working day for students to use on a self – access basis.

Can students eat lunch in the school?

Yes, the restaurant is fully open and offers well priced and tasty meals and snacks to the students. 

Do I need medical insurance?

We strongly recommend that all students have medical insurance before coming to the UK. 

Immigration health surcharge

All students who apply for a visa for longer than six months must pay the immigration health surcharge as part of the online visa application. They will then be able to access national health services in the UK during their stay. This includes free doctors appointments and hospital services. For a visa that is valid for between six and 12 months, the cost is GBP470. The cost increases with the length of the visa. Use the government’s immigration health surcharge calculator.

How can I contact Westbourne Academy?

If you feel unwell or you need urgent help you can call W.A. emergency phone number +44 7974 348 453.

For any other inquiry you can contact the office number +44 (0)1202 75 27 77 Monday to Friday from 9 am to 5 pm or send us an email to info@westbourneacademy.com and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Do I need a visa to study in the UK?

Everyone is allowed to study in the UK for up to six months as a visitor. This means many students can study without a visa and some nationalities need to apply for a Standard Visitor visa.

Key facts: Standard Visitor visa / 1-6 months

  • Visitors with a Standard Visitor visa are allowed to study in the UK flexibly during the validity of the visa, which is usually six months.
  • Students can study at any UK institution with a government-approved accreditation. All British Council accredited language centres are suitable.
  • Students can change course or change provider.
  • No minimum level of English required.
  • Students cannot work with this visa, but they can volunteer.

The application cost is GBP100.

Students of any nationality on the list below do not need a visa to study in the UK for up to six months. All other nationalities need to apply for a UK Standard Visitor visa before they travel.

In both cases, students are able to study flexibly in the UK for up to six months. They are allowed to study at any institution that has an accreditation recognised by the UK government. All language centres that are accredited by the British Council for the teaching of English are suitable. Students are allowed to change course or change provider within the six month period in the UK.

The following nationalities can study in the UK without a visa, for up to six months:

Any EU or EEA country

Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Hong Kong, Israel, Japan, Mauritius, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Singapore, South Korea, Switzerland, Taiwan, Uruguay.

For courses longer than six months, all international students need to apply for a visa before travel. There are two visas available to students: the Short-term study visa, and the Student visa. The Short-term study visa allows students to study a English language course for between six and eleven months. If the study programme includes other subjects or if the student plans to study for longer than 11 months, a Student visa is required.

Key facts: Short-term study visa /  6-11 months

  • No minimum level of English is required.
  • Students must be 16 years old or above when they arrive in the UK.
  • Students must have a plan to study at a UK institution with a government-approved accreditation. All British Council accredited language centres are suitable.
  • The visa is only valid for study at the institution that is named on the application form.
  • Students cannot work with this visa, but they can volunteer.
  • The application costs GBP186, plus GBP470 fee for the immigration health surcharge .
  • Extensions: students can extend their original course booking up to the end of their visa validity period (maximum of 11 months).

Where we are based


31 Alumhurst Road, Westbourne, Dorset, BH4 8EN, UK.


Improve your English at Westbourne Academy!

We are pleased to announce that Westbourne Academy has reopened. We are accepting online applications.