A popular place
to study English
Love sandy beaches? Then you’ll love Westbourne Academy Bournemouth’s beautiful seaside location, near the picturesque shopping centre of Westbourne. In this safe and friendly part of Bournemouth, you will find banks, a post office, traditional English pubs, international restaurants, and great shopping facilities. The beach is 10 minutes’ walk and Bournemouth town centre is 5 minutes away by bus. The historic town of Poole is only 20 minutes away by bus. Bournemouth and Poole are international holiday resorts where you can find many exciting attractions. Bournemouth is also a lively university town with over 30,000 students. It is the most popular place to study English in the UK, after London, and also home to many bars and clubs if you like to party!
Information on Bournemouth and the surrounding area, events, attractions and more.
Local and events information for Poole.
A Local Taxi Company
Tel: 01202 747333
Information on local buses. Bus passes can be purchased at the school.
Wilts & Dorset Bus Company
Information on local buses. Bus passes can be purchased at the school.
Coach company with services across the UK, including all major airports.
Information and booking service for UK trains.
Bournemouth and Poole Beaches
Our beaches, including Alum Chine beach (the closest to our school), have won awards for water quality, environmental management and safety.
Russell Cotes Art Gallery and Museum
A beautiful Victorian house with a private art collection and museum.
Poole’s spectacular natural harbour, Brownsea Island and the famous Jurassic coastline from the comfort of a chartered cruise.
The Lighthouse Theatre, Poole
The largest multi-space venue in the UK outside London with a very wide variety of events and performances.
Discover life beneath the waves at the Oceanarium on Bournemouth Seafront.
Discover Dorset Tours
Join Discover Dorset Tours to explore the England! You can book local trips such as Jurassic Coat and Stonehenge.
Fireworks events take place throughout the summer on Poole Quay and Bournemouth Seafront.
Large leisure complex with cinemas, a water park, bowling, bingo and many restaurants.
Watch our local team, the Poole Pirates, at the Speedway track in central Poole.
One of the most important ornamental gardens in England.
Bh2 has 13 world-class restaurants, a state-of-the-art 10 screen multiplex cinema and 175 car parking spaces. Make it your destination for leisure!
Hop aboard a Brownsea bird boat and tour the harbour followed by a special landing on Brownsea and witness one of the greatest bird spectacles in the UK.
We understand that it can take time to get used to a new country. So here’s some useful information on life in the UK:
Banks open at 9.30 am and close at 4.30 pm. All the major banks can be found in Westbourne. If you wish to open a bank account, please speak to a member of staff at Reception.
“Please” and “thank you” are very important in the UK!
There is a bookshop in Westbourne, on Poole Road, where you can buy English dictionaries.
Bureau Du Change
Money can be changed in most banks and the post office.
There is a doctor’s surgery in Westbourne or ask your homestay provider for the name of their doctor’s.
Food and Drink
British food and drink may be very different to the food and drink from your country, but it’s probably better than you think! Try everything and have an open mind!
Buses run regularly from Westbourne to Parkstone, Poole and Bournemouth. If you wish to take the bus to school, please ask for County Gates bus stop. Current prices are available and bus passes can be bought from the reception in Westbourne Academy.
Unlimited Travel Bus Passes (Zones A&B MoreBuses):
7 day – £16.50
21 day – £44.00
28 day – £56.50
Pubs are generally open from 11.00 – 24.00. Please remember that you must be 18 or over to buy or drink alcohol and to buy cigarettes.
In the UK it’s very important to be on time. Remember to leave lots of extra time when taking buses in case of traffic, and don’t be late for your classes!
Most shops open from 9.00 – 17.30, Monday to Saturday. Post Office: The main post office is in Westbourne and is open from 9.00 – 17.00 on Monday to Friday and 9.00 – 12.00 on Saturday.
Telephones and Internet
Lebara SIM cards for your mobile phone can be bought in the school. The school and all homestay providers also have free Wifi.
The weather in the UK is very changeable. It’s also not very warm. It’s a good idea to bring an umbrella, warm clothes and a raincoat!
Please be very careful when crossing the road: don’t forget that in England we drive on the left so look right first!
Westbourne Academy can arrange accommodation for students who take courses at the school. Most students choose homestay accommodation because it is an important part of the experience and involves living as a member of the home. Students are treated as a full member of the household, eating together and sharing the common living areas. It gives them the opportunity to practise their English and benefit from an English home atmosphere. Please note that we do not place more than four students in the same homestay.
Some students prefer ‘Private Home Accommodation’. There may be less of a family environment in these homes as there can be more than 4 students accommodated at once. Students will still experience eating together with the hosts and sharing the common living areas. If you are not happy to be placed in ‘Private Home Accommodation’ please let us know at the time of booking.
Living with local people is the best way to get extra language practice and it also helps you to understand English culture and customs.
The safety and security of all our students is a priority. In the case of problems, there are several full-time welfare officers available to give advice and help. The school also operates a 24-hour emergency telephone service for students.
- All homestays/Private Home Accommodation are carefully selected by the Academy’s accommodation department
- All homestays/Private Home Accommodation are regularly inspected by our Accommodation Officer
- All bookings are part board which includes bed, breakfast and evening meals. A snack lunch is provided on weekends
- Bedrooms will have a mirror, wardrobe and drawer space for clothes together with a desk, chair and lamp for students to have a place to study
- Bedrooms are cleaned weekly at no extra charge
- Clean bed linen is provided and fitted weekly at no extra charge
- One load of clothes washing per week is included at no extra charge. Additional loads of washing may be arranged at a cost of £5.00 per wash. Alternatively, there is a laundry room at Westbourne Academy for student use at a cost of £5.00 per wash
- All students receive a front door key. Students under the age of 18 receive a key to lock the door and unlock the door when they leave / enter. The key will be kept in an agreed place in the home whilst they are in
- Only nationals of an EU country will have access to free medical treatment. We recommend all of our students to make sure they have medical insurance before they depart for the UK. We recommend all students register with their homestay provider’s doctor.
- Special diets can be arranged with advanced notice. This is offered at an extra cost. Please contact the Academy for further details.
- Students aged 16 and 17 years old are required to return home by 10.30PM Monday – Thursday and 11.30PM on Friday and Saturday (as of 01.01.2018).
HOMESTAY ACCOMMODATION FEES
|AGES 16+||AGES 14 – 15 (Twin room only within groups)|
|05/01/2019 to 22/06/2019 and
31/08/2019 to 21/12/2019
|£121 per week, single room||£131.00 per week, twin room only|
|22/06/2019 to 31/08/2019||£151 per week, single room
£131 per week, twin room
|£151.00 per week, twin room only|
|21/12/2019 to 04/01/2020||£151 per week, single room||N/A|
– breakfast and evening meal Monday to Friday
– breakfast, snack lunch and evening meals Saturday and Sunday
Lunch is available in the school cafeteria during the week at an additional cost.
Please note that accommodation bookings are Saturday to Saturday, unless otherwise arranged.
31 Alumhurst Road, Westbourne, Dorset, BH4 8EN, UK.
© Westbourne Academy 2017
Westbourne Academy is collecting your details to provide the call back service, however, your details will not be passed on to any third party organisations without your consent.